Terna's experience: innovation for the electricity system
First public meeting on storage pilot projects: a workshop on the results of Terna’s experimentation on storage systems.
The ongoing energy transition, linked to European decarbonisation goals and characterized by the continuous growth in the number of renewable-energy generation plants, brings to the necessity of identifying new ways and resources for a proper grid management.
Terna’s experimental storage systems can give indications on the role and potential of storage technologies in supporting this transition.
Find out more about the reference documents of Terna's pilot storage projects.
The meeting, with the participation of the Italian Regulatory Authority for Electricity Gas and Water, the independent experts' Commission on storage pilot projects and the Ministry of Economic development, is the chance to share initial results with market operators and all stakeholders involved.
No. of plants:
3 NCSS (Non-Conventional Storage Systems) plants, each connected to the NTG via a 20/150 kV Electrical Substation
• Ginestra NCSS: a 12 MW plant with a net energy capacity of approximately 80 MWh, located in Castelfranco in Miscano (Benevento) and part of the 150 kV “Benevento 2 – Montefalcone – Celle San Vito” backbone
• Flumeri NCSS: a 12 MW plant with a net energy capacity of approximately 80 MWh, located in Flumeri (Avellino) and part of the 150 kV “Benevento 2 – Bisaccia 380” backbone
• Scampitella NCSS: a 10.8 MW plant with a net energy capacity of approximately 72 MWh, located in Scampitella (Avellino) and part of the 150 kV “Benevento 2 – Bisaccia 380” backbone
• To optimise planned primary objectives (mitigating against congestion from Non-Programmable Renewable Sources (NPRSs)
• Effective experimentation with highly innovative grid delivery services aimed at the safe operation of the NTG with improved performance compared to conventional resources
• These plants are among the most powerful in Europe, as well as the first to be adapted to meet the requirements of the Grid Operator, remotely controlled and conducted from Terna centres
• The local Integrated Control System (ICS), planned for each site individually, is equipped with conduction, control and monitoring capacities able to interface with remote systems and the relative control systems of machines and apparatus in the single Storage Units as well as equip Terna's Central Systems with additional innovative functions and new applications
16 MW (13.4 MW total capacity already installed and 21.2 MWh of storage capacity)
lithium (9.2 MW, 5 types) ZEBRA (3.4 MW, 2 types) and flow (0.85 MW, 2 types) Plans are in place for supercapacitor-based systems in the future
No. of plants:
2 of approximately 8 MW each in Sicily and Sardinia
• To experiment with the main storage technologies currently available on the market and test their performance and technical characteristics in terms of supporting conventional essential services
• To test innovative applications and features which could be implemented in the Dispatching Resources Grid Code in the future
Type of experiments:
• Grid scale (on-site).
• Module scale (in certified Italian laboratories: RSE, ENEA, CNR and CESI)
• The Storage Lab project is the only one of its kind in the world in terms of the variety of available technologies and the innovative nature of the control systems
Extension of the concession and the possibility for Terna to include battery-storage systems into its own Italian National Transmission Grid Development Plan
Legislative Decree no. 28 of 03 March 2001;
Legislative Decree no. 93 of 01 June 2011;
Definition of the minimum mandatory and optional requirements for the selection of experimental pilot projects regarding energy storage, as well as the minimum content for applications
Ruling no. 08/2012 of the Italian Regulatory Authority for Electricity, Gas and Water (AEEGSI)
Approval of the pilot projects presented by Terna in its 35 MW programme planned in the Development Plan 2011 and approved by the Italian Ministry for Economic Development (MISE) on 02 October 2012
Resolution 66/2013/R/eel of 21 February 2013
Rapporto pubblico anno 2015 – Progetti Pilota di sperimentazione di accumulo energetico – Storage Lab (Italian version only)
Rapporto pubblico anno 2016 – Progetti Pilota di sperimentazione di accumulo energetico – Storage Lab (Italian version only)
Rapporto pubblico anno 2015 – Progetti Pilota di sperimentazione di accumulo energetico Energy Intensive – Report di esercizio in assetto provvisorio (Italian version only)
Rapporto pubblico anno 2016 – Progetti Pilota di sperimentazione di accumulo energetico Energy Intensive (Italian version only)
Addendum a Rapporto pubblico anno 2016 – Progetti Pilota di sperimentazione di accumulo energetico Energy Intensive (Italian version only)