The structure was inaugurated on 15 May 1938. Gerolamo Gaslini, the founder of the institute dedicated to his prematurely lost daughter, decided to leave his entire wealth to the hospital. His dedication was rooted in the desire to guarantee the highest possible levels of efficiency for a public structure of such great importance for treatment and research into child illness. In this context, the renovation financed by Terna represents an important step in terms of technological development and research in the scientific field. The laboratory for Processing/Freezing blood stem cells using liquid nitrogen requires a series of works to bring it in line with new regulations issued by the Italian National Transplant Centre. All blood stem cells used in transplants with paediatric patients at the Gaslini hospital are processed and stored in a CryoBank. Specifically, the hospital manages the laboratory activity traditionally known as “bone-marrow transplant”, for the treatment of child leukaemia and correction of congenital defects such as immunodeficiencies, certain metabolic conditions and many congenital illnesses.